Dobbs Management Service (“DMS”) is the investment arm organized exclusively for the John Hull Dobbs Family (“Dobbs”) that oversees its assets including marketable securities and direct investments.
DMS is a legacy of the central corporate office for the Dobbs Automotive business and has been operational for over 25 years in support of the Family’s business and investment efforts.
The Dobbs Family has an 85 year history of owning and operating successful businesses including:
- Beverage Distribution
- Food Service
- Financial Services
- Automotive Dealerships
- Fire & Security
- Financial Services
- Dental Clinics
- Automotive Aftermarket Distribution
- Insurance Brokerage
- Heavy Duty Truck Dealerships
- Heavy Equipment Dealerships
- Furniture Manufacturing
- Automotive Aftermarket Software
- Custom Printing and Marketing
- Disaster Recovery, Downline Assessment, and Technical Utility Services
- Government Contracting for Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) Services
In 2005, the Dobbs family made a strategic decision to substantially increase its investment in direct investments in operating companies that it could own and control for the long-term:
- Expanded and dedicated staff towards search and acquisition efforts
- Current investment portfolio generates cash well in excess of internal capital needs
- Generally no financing contingencies for investments
The Dobbs Family has made 30 individual or add-on investments since 2005 across ten platform companies. We prefer to invest in fewer larger entities rather than many smaller ones to focus our resources on the best opportunities.
DMS does not manage money or report to outside investors and is not influenced by any agenda other than that of the family, its business partners and their respective businesses. Our primary focus is on building the long-term enterprise value of the companies owned by the Dobbs Family.
Mission and Principles
DMS’s mission is to produce superior returns through controlled investments in generational wealth vehicles for the Dobbs Family, our company’s management teams and DMS principals.
- DMS is the entity and organization that the Dobbs Family uses to implement its investments as well as oversee its companies. We have a direct line and oversight of the senior executive teams.
- DMS follows fundamental principles that drive our investment strategy:
- Invest in good businesses capable of generating long-term profitability:
- Competitive operating model with the ability to grow
- Capable management teams with a history of strong execution
- Partner with successful management teams through incentives and meaningful ownership
- Remain flexible to type of industry and open to investing at various stages of growth
- DMS’s efforts are focused on strategy and finance so that managers can focus on day-to-day execution:
- Conduct ourselves and operate our businesses with the highest values and professional integrity
- Work with businesses on strategy, capital deployment and networking for growth opportunities
- Emphasize strong financial, legal and risk management controls to insure we operate in an ethical, legal and financially prudent manner. Oversee the “necessary evils” that are required but do not necessarily add to the top line or bottom line and are areas of expertise and leverage for DMS:
- Legal and Regulatory
- Real Estate
- Risk Management
- Benefits and ERISA